About Me

My photo
This is my journey. This is what I see. I am a wife, a mother, an artist. I am on His path.

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Helicopters and Boomerangs

If you have not looked at my previous post, it is a bit of a set up for this one.

I have been working on this post for over a month.  It just never seems right.  So I am starting from scratch tonight.  This is raw......the thoughts have been there, but the fingers are just tapping away.

Helicopter Parents:  describes parents who hover over their children and become too involved in their lives, including interfering in college or career decisions ...


I don't understand helicopter parents.....I am not one.



This is what it looks like to me:

Take your kid to school.
Hang up kids coat, comb kids hair.
Tuck in kids shirt.
Unpack backpack in desk.
Turn in homework, talk to teacher about poor test questions.
Say goodbyes ----- but hang around in the hall.
Go pick up lunch. Deliver to school.
Since your there, have lunch with kid.
Pick up kid, reviewing homework with teacher.
While kid throws a tantrum, do kids homework for them.
Drag to sport, dance, music lessons.....

This continues from elementary....
                                   to junior high...
                                            to high school.

You think your kid is ready for college, but every little life set back, you show up to solve their problems.

And you are surprised when they move back home??

This is the boomerang effect.


Why do parents hover? Why are parents so afraid that their child will fail?  What is so important about a sticker?  My brain has been spinning about this topic too long.....and what is the outcome of all of this contemplation? 





Helicopters and boomerangs do not mix.
If you toss a boomerang out of a helicopter,
           it is bringing
                        everyone
                                  down.

Crash and burn.......









No comments: