About Me

My photo
This is my journey. This is what I see. I am a wife, a mother, an artist. I am on His path.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Solving World Problems With ART!

I am not a real teacher, but I play one on TV.  Well, not on TV, but in a classroom.  I am so blessed to be allowed to make art with children at a private school.  We make cool art.  And these kids have the most far out ideas.

We are drawing MONSTERS!  Not just any monster, our very own monster.  You know the one. The monster we get to take home with us and live in our house.  Yeah, yeah.  I know.  Monsters are rude and not very good houseguests.  We even read the book about it at the beginning of the assignment.  You should read it too….Jeremy Draws a Monster by Peter McCarty.


So I had a student today decide his monster is going to be a soldier.  I asked what kind of soldier.  “Well, the kind of soldier that fights in a war!”  I just had to ask, "What would his weapon be if he were a soldier?"  “Oh. Well he wouldn’t have a weapon like that!” 

I asked him,  “Well, will his weapon be words?”   

“NO!  He would have a real weapon.  A weapon like….




......spaghetti!



So that was that.  The whole class jumped into the conversation.  We could sling slimy spaghetti noodles at each other when we are angry at each other.  If you get hungry?  Open your mouth and have a snack!  It would be perfect!!  It even solves world hunger!

The idea that was the icing on the cake?  The Army should design a tank that launches…….




Meatballs!

1 comment:

The Little Red Hen said...

I love it! I wish I had an art teacher like you when I was in school.